Textadept is a fast, minimalist, and ridiculously extensible cross-platform text editor for programmers. Written in a combination of C and Lua and relentlessly optimized for speed and minimalism over the years, Textadept is an ideal editor for programmers who want endless extensibility without sacrificing speed or succumbing to code bloat and featuritis.
- Self-contained executable – no installation necessary.
- Entirely keyboard driven.
- Unlimited split views (GUI version).
- Support for over 80 programming languages.
- Powerful snippets and key commands.
- Code autocompletion and API lookup.
- Unparalleled extensibility.
- Terminal (curses) version.
In its bid for minimalism, Textadept has no dependencies on Windows and Mac OSX operating systems and depends only on GTK+ 2.0 version 2.18 or greater on Linux. Lua is pre-compiled into Textadept on all platforms and a GTK+ runtime is included on Windows and Mac OSX.
The terminal version of Textadept requires only an implementation of curses like ncurses.
Download Textadept from the project’s download page.
Installation and Usage
Textadept comes with a comprehensive manual and API documentation in the doc/ directory. They are also available online.
Contact me by email: mitchell.att.foicica.com.
There is also a mailing list.