Re: [code] Profiling Lua

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:17:34 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Brian,

On Thu, 19 Apr 2012, Brian Schott wrote:

> Textadept claims to be "relentlessly optimized for speed", but it
> seems to die a terrible death when opening this file:
> https://raw.github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/master/std/datetime.d

Other than taking some time to load, it works for me. Editing is still
snappy too. Peak memory usage is under 80MB.

> What's the best way of profiling the lua code so that I can hopefully
> fix TA for large files? (Before anyone mentions Scintilla as a cause
> of the speed problem, load that file in SciTE.) Callgrind is fairly
> useless at profiling Lua code. (Also, it took several minutes for TA
> to open that file when being run in Valgrind)

I remember you had a problem with an HTML file some time ago and the way I
found out what caused the problem was to bisect the file to find the chunk
that was causing the slowdown.

9 times out of 10 it's an LPeg parsing issue so I'm not sure what can be
done except finding the chunk of text the editor is choking on.