[code] [textadept] Arbitrary shell command

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan94.att.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 15:42:38 -0400

How so I run an arbitrary shell command and display the results in a new
view?

What I want to do is run "dict" while passing it values for "word"
"dictionary" and "strategy" and display the resulting definition(s) and
thesaurus entries (if any) in a new view, preferable resulting from
splitting the current window. This rather emulates the behavior of
"dict-em" in Emacs.

This is neither a "compile" or "run" (of the "just-compiled file") nor
is it a "filter through" action.

I imagine it's something obvious but I'm new to both Lua and Textadept
and the docs aren't quite clear.

Thanks!

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan USA