Re: [code] [textadept] Textadept 5.5 beta

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan94.att.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 10:58:07 -0400

On 07/05/2012 09:24, Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:
>
>> On 07/02/2012 09:44, Mitchell wrote:
>>> Hi Bill,
>>

>>> Thanks for the heads up. Can you attach the output so I can take a look?
>>
>> [snip]
>> In file included from scintilla/src/ExternalLexer.cxx:24:
>> scintilla/src/ExternalLexer.h:21: error: expected `)' before '*' token
>> scintilla/src/ExternalLexer.h:21: error: expected initializer before
>> '*' token
>> [snip]
>
> Thanks for sending this. I presume 5.4 compiled for you, yes?
>
> Mitchell

Yep. 5.4 works perfectly. I use it many hours a day and it has actually
managed to replace Emacs as my favorite editor. :)

I'm learning Lua so I can bring some Emacs-like functionality to
Textadept like Flyspell and a few other goodies. My main use is ConTeXt
and I got tired of the minimal support for this TeX flavor in AUCTeX.
When I politely inquired about better ConTeXt support, I was given a
very snarky and sarcastic answer indicating I should write the code
myself. That being the case, Lua is somewhat similar to the languages I
used to develop in for decades while elisp is mind-boggling and makes no
sense to me.

Textadept seems much closer to what I want than zile or zi so I don't
have to start from scratch. SciTE has pretty good ConTeXt support but
seems (to me) to be harder to extend and is so strictly CUA I can't add
the few "emacsisms" I prefer to the CUA way of doing things without
major effort.

These days I write prose and do book design and typesetting, not code
development per se and Textadept seems like the best platform to use for
such purposes.

Keep up the good work.

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan USA