Re: [code] [textadept] Textadept 5.5 beta

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan94.att.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 11:10:21 -0400

On 07/05/2012 09:26, Mitchell wrote:
> Bill,
>
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Bill Meahan wrote:
>
>> If I force use of clang++ instead of g++, LexerSimple compiles but the
>> PLATgtk can't find the headers:
>
> The output you sent indicates that pkg-config is not giving the correct
> headers (pkg-config --cflags gtk+-2.0). If you can get pkg-config
> working correctly, hopefully it will compile completely.
>
> Mitchell

FYI, Textadept is the _only_ application where pkg-config seems to be
"abnormal" as I have many applications on this laptop from the ports
collection that use pkg-config. I will look into it, though.

FreeBSD is moving to clang from gcc and that will be the default
compiler in FreeBSD 10. I don't pretend to understand CMake files but if
you do, it might be wise to create the necessary cmake/clang support if
you want to see Textadept used widely on BSD systems. I think
OpenIndiana (Open Solaris FOSS version) is headed in that direction, too.

<rant>
After 40 years, I've mostly given up on GNU since the developers seem
needlessly doctrinaire and user-hostile for non-developer users. I'd
hate for my wife to have to depend on them. She's a terrific
counselor/social-worker with advanced degrees and board-certifications
but not a techie by any stretch. Far too many FOSS developers fail to
realize 90-95% of computer users are far more like my wife than like me.
</rant>

:)

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan USA