Re: [code] [textadept] Textadept 6.0 beta

From: Robert <rob.g.att.web.de>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 17:02:14 +0200

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>

> On Wed, 1 Aug 2012, Robert wrote:
>
>> Hi Mitchell,
>>
>> great work, as usual! Do you cross-compile the OS X ncurses version?
>> I get this error when trying it directly:
>> scintilla/term/ScintillaTerm.cxx:287:20: error: cast from pointer to
>> smaller type 'attr_t' (aka 'unsigned int') loses information
>> wattr_set(win, reinterpret_cast<attr_t>(font_.GetID()),
>> ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> Yes I cross-compile now. Your error seems to indicate the code is compiling
> for 64-bit instead 32-bit (pointers probably being size 8 while unsigned
> ints are still 4). Has your CXXFLAGS been modified in any way? I must
> confess I've been having trouble with type sizes in passing pointers around
> on 32-bit and 64-bit arches.

I see, the Makefile is really set up for cross compiling... If I add
the -m32 option I get past this but get other errors.

>> Also, with the other API changes, how about renaming WIN32 to WIN or
>> WINDOWS? Now that there is a 64-bit Windows build WIN32 sounds more
>> and more obsolete. According to Wikipedida [1] the official APIs
>> aren't called Win32 anymore either.
>

> I don't what what I'm going to do. The 64-bit compiler still sets the
> __WIN32 flag and a lot of Lua code (including user code) relies on WIN32
> being defined. There are problems with the 64-bit build anyway: the GTK
> project only has 64-bit binaries for 2.22 (32-bit binaries are available for
> 2.24), I cannot get the GTK WIMP theme to work on 64-bit, and LuaJIT cannot
> compile. For these reasons I am not providing official 64-bit builds even
> though support for compiling them are available. It will be something to
> consider in the future though.

For the "user-facing" Lua side I think it would be nice to rename this
to something that has no connections to any of these complications.
:-)
Or do you mean by Lua "user code" relying on WIN32 that it can't be renamed?