Re: [code] [textadept] Textadept 6.0 beta

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 12:17:51 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Robert,

On Thu, 2 Aug 2012, Robert wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
>> Robert,
>>

>> On Wed, 1 Aug 2012, Robert wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Mitchell,
>>>
>>> great work, as usual! Do you cross-compile the OS X ncurses version?
>>> I get this error when trying it directly:
>>> scintilla/term/ScintillaTerm.cxx:287:20: error: cast from pointer to
>>> smaller type 'attr_t' (aka 'unsigned int') loses information
>>> wattr_set(win, reinterpret_cast<attr_t>(font_.GetID()),
>>> ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> Yes I cross-compile now. Your error seems to indicate the code is compiling
>> for 64-bit instead 32-bit (pointers probably being size 8 while unsigned
>> ints are still 4). Has your CXXFLAGS been modified in any way? I must
>> confess I've been having trouble with type sizes in passing pointers around
>> on 32-bit and 64-bit arches.
>>
> I see, the Makefile is really set up for cross compiling... If I add
> the -m32 option I get past this but get other errors.

I can try to help you off-list if you send me the compile errors.

>>> Also, with the other API changes, how about renaming WIN32 to WIN or
>>> WINDOWS? Now that there is a 64-bit Windows build WIN32 sounds more
>>> and more obsolete. According to Wikipedida [1] the official APIs
>>> aren't called Win32 anymore either.
>>

>> I don't what what I'm going to do. The 64-bit compiler still sets the
>> __WIN32 flag and a lot of Lua code (including user code) relies on WIN32
>> being defined. There are problems with the 64-bit build anyway: the GTK
>> project only has 64-bit binaries for 2.22 (32-bit binaries are available for
>> 2.24), I cannot get the GTK WIMP theme to work on 64-bit, and LuaJIT cannot
>> compile. For these reasons I am not providing official 64-bit builds even
>> though support for compiling them are available. It will be something to
>> consider in the future though.
>>
> For the "user-facing" Lua side I think it would be nice to rename this
> to something that has no connections to any of these complications.
> :-)
> Or do you mean by Lua "user code" relying on WIN32 that it can't be renamed?

I admit the "user code" argument is weak since major releases tend to
break it anyway. In my opinion "WIN" is not descriptive enough and
"WINDOWS" is too long (plus it will increase the lines of code count for
the short lines that have "if WIN32 then ... end" or "... = WIN32 and ...
or ..."). WIN32 is a good compromise at least until the 64-bit release is
officially supported (if ever).