Re: [code] [textadept] Input delay

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2012 15:45:14 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Klaus,

On Sun, 5 Aug 2012, Klaus Borges wrote:

> Mitchell,
>
> I hope you don't mind, but I'll use a text generator to illustrate my
> problem since the only file I have at hand right now is a plain text file
> of a story I've been working on. I used bacon ipsum (
> http://baconipsum.com/?paras=50&type=all-meat&start-with-lorem=1 ) set to
> 50 paragraphs and I pasted it into a new file. It has basically the same
> structure as the story, since my paragraphs are long lines. When I paste
> the generated text twice, it starts lagging.
> I recall having input lags while editing a ruby project and some C source
> files too.
>
> Isn't there a workaround or fix for these issues? I tested some bulkier
> editors and they seem to handle it pretty well, I monitored CPU and memory
> usage and it's normal. And it doesn't seem to be GTK either, since gVim
> runs pretty smooth.

When I pasted the text from your link into ta I noticed that indeed the
lines are very long. If I recall correctly, Scintilla has been notorious
for slowing down on long lines. Bill's suggestion about line wrapping
might help.

Download a copy of SciTE and see if it also slows down. Like ta, SciTE
uses Scintilla and if exhibits slowdown, then the lag is occuring in
Scintilla.