Re: [code] [textadept] Input delay

From: Bill Meahan <wmeahan94.att.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 13:50:14 -0400

On 08/05/2012 03:45 PM, Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> On Sun, 5 Aug 2012, Klaus Borges wrote:

[snip]

Yes, I manually hit the "carriage return" when I hit the guideline set
at 66 characters in my custom theme ("nearscited"). I typed on manual
typewriters (not even electric) for many years so that doesn't bother me
in the slightest. :)

There is a wrap.lua file on the wiki BUT it needs modification for 5.x
AND (worse) does not honor non-alphanumeric characters so it will
happily put punctuation marks as the first character of a line or remove
the backslash of a LaTeX/ConTeXt markup command when it wraps such a
markup to the beginning of the line. The equivalent "format-paragraph"
command in Emacs is smart enough to recognize punctuation and markup and
Do The Right Thing when wrapping. One of the things on my TODO list is
to rewrite it in Lua and integrate it into TA.

If you're on a Unix-like system, you can easily use the "filter-through"
function in TA to filter your buffer through the "fmt" command to get
the file shortened to a configurable line length (65 characters +/- 10%
by default).

Scintilla was really developed for code editors (not general-purpose
text editing) and most statements in source files are < 80 characters
long. That dates back to the days of FORTRAN, COBOL, JCL and 80-column
Hollerith (aka "IBM") punch cards. FORTRAN, for example, would not allow
a program statement to be > 72 characters since the last 8 columns were
reserved for a user-determined sequence number (ignored by the FORTRAN
compiler) in case you dropped your deck of cards and had to put them
back in the right order after you picked them up from the floor.

Yes, I *have* used Model 26 and Model 29 keypunches to create thousands
of lines of FORTRAN code on punch cards. Why do you ask? :) :) ;)

--
Bill Meahan, Westland, Michigan USA
“Writing is a combination of intangible