Re: [code] [textadept] freezes while running a script.

From: Jason <jpriest8ml.att.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 20:48:21 -0500

On 08/19/2012 07:57 PM, Mitchell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I worked on this some time ago using GTK's "spawn" facilities but it
> was problematic on Windows so I decided against including it.
>
> Obviously Textadept is a single-threaded application. Lua states
> accessed from multiple threads can mis-behave and cause problems so I
> am reluctant to support it.
No, no. I'm not interested in sharing a Lua state across multiple threads,
but executing an entirely different program in another thread.

Nearly every editor/IDE supports this already, so surely there must be a
decent cross-platform
method of accomplishing this. I'll try googling and asking around to see
if I can come up with
anything.

On 08/19/2012 07:57 PM, Mitchell wrote:
> When I get some time I need to really spend some time looking into
> fixing the debugger for Lua 5.2. A quick analysis showed that
> functions cannot yield from inside a debug hook (at least that is what
> I think I recall). Perhaps there is another way without resorting to
> the client-server model.
I personally believe the "client-server model" to be superior to the one
used in the original debug module.
Lua is a scripting language, meant for embedding in other applications,
and the existing model used in
the debug module simply will not work in this case, whereas a
server-client debug setup would.

I am particularly interested in debugging LÍVE applications, and using a
remote debugger
would be best in this situation.

Anyway, if there is no plan for for resolving this then I will add
LuaLanes to my list of prerequisites
for the time being.