Re: [code] [textadept] freezes while running a script.

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 09:23:25 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Jason,

On Sun, 19 Aug 2012, Jason wrote:

> On 08/19/2012 07:57 PM, Mitchell wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I worked on this some time ago using GTK's "spawn" facilities but it
>> was problematic on Windows so I decided against including it.
>>
>> Obviously Textadept is a single-threaded application. Lua states
>> accessed from multiple threads can mis-behave and cause problems so I
>> am reluctant to support it.
> No, no. I'm not interested in sharing a Lua state across multiple threads,
> but executing an entirely different program in another thread.

I understand, but when the program in the separate thread returns, there
is some Lua in Textadept that handles stdout or a return code or something
else. I admit I don't know much about multithreading, but the concern I
have is if the gui is responsive after executing something in another
thread, it could be running Lua code right when the external command
finishes. I don't know how the subsequent Lua state access occurs. Maybe
it wouldn't be a problem at all. I don't know.