Re: [code] [textadept] Textadept 6.0 beta 2

From: Jason <jpriest8ml.att.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:09:17 -0500

On 09/18/2012 12:42 PM, cd rubin wrote:
> 1. Is there an established way to use something like
> https://github.com/pkulchenko/MobDebug or another remote debugger
> within or at least alongside textadept?

I tried something like this. I got breakpoints working with the GUI
side of things again, but integrating this with MobDebug was going to
be a pain since Textadept uses `os.execute()` to run files, meaning the
entire UI is frozen waiting for the application to end. This will NOT
work for a remote debugger. You could spawn a new thread to run the
script, but this requires external libraries such as LuaLanes. Even
then, I couldn't find a way to map Textadept's stdout to another
thread's. I finally tried creating a terminal/console to run the script
but at this point I was fed up and went back to another IDE.

Here's some of my work: https://gist.github.com/3747403
The first file is my work, the last two are the original debugger files
for textadept v5.something...

I wish you the best of luck if you try implementing this yourself.

I personally believe TA is a cool editor in theory, and I *really*
wanted it to work out being the Lua geek that I am, but for me, it's
just easier and more enjoyable to use another IDE such as Koneki's LDT
or IntelliJ IDEA with the Lua plugin.

Best wishes for TA in the future.