Re: [code] [textadept]Thanks and a suggestion

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 09:30:20 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi, John,

On Wed, 3 Oct 2012, John Hind wrote:

> 1. You should document the command-line options. I spent a lot of time
> hunting around in the Lua and C code trying to find how to change the
> _USERHOME global in time to catch its first use before ultimately finding
> the code that revealed the command line switch.

On OSX and Linux there is the usual 'textadept -h' or 'textadept --help'
that shows command line options, but admittedly this is pretty useless on
Windows. I will put them on the "Help" page in the manual. Thanks for the
suggestion.

> 2. It should be possible to use a multi-platform release package.
> [snip]

I have thought about this before, but there are a few issues that come to
mind:

1. Prospective users that see a 20+ MB download might not think Textadept
is so minimalist, even if they are made aware it is a multiplatform
package.

2. The Linux 32-bit and 64-bit executables will have to be renamed and
users will have to either symlink to 'textadept32' or 'textadept64' or run
those commands literally. Running 'textadept' is much easier.

3. Linux distribution packagers will have to strip out all the Windows,
OSX, and other-architecture cruft.

4. How do we define 'multiplatform'? Should I also include a BSD
executable since Textadept supports the BSD platform? How would it be
named? 'textadept32bsd' and 'textadeptjit32bsd'?

5. Most applications have separate platform packages, so why go against
the trend?

You have the unique position of going between Win32 and OSX platforms, so
it makes sense to have a single package for the editor. However, I think
most users have one platform to stick to.

> Hope this is helpful and positive, but I understand if you do not want to
> take user input to the design. If you do, I may make some more suggestions,
> if not I can still fork the code to my own specification, so thanks again!

I am always open to suggestions. They are what make Textadept grow. Please
share if you come up with anything.