Re: [code] textadept6 beta3 - some feeling and suggestion

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 11:44:26 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi John,

On Fri, 12 Oct 2012, John Ferrier wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using textadept (beta3, x86_64) for a while. I like it but I have a few questions / suggestions:
>
> 1) Can I save my current preferences to the file?

No. You will have to define your preferences manually. However, some
preferences need to be saved in certain files, like theme files. For
example, if you want to save your indentation settings, it would go in a
theme's "buffer.lua" file. More information on theme preferences is
here[1] and general preferences is here[2]. If you let us know what
preferences you would like to save, we can help you out more directly.

> 2) Can I make a rectangle selection using mouse + (Alt, shift, ctrl key(s) etc.)?

Although this is discussed in the manual[3], I would not be
surprised if Ubuntu or other window managers eat up the "Alt+Shift+Arrow"
key combinations. The next manual will include a note that some window
manager keys will need to be reconfigured.

At the moment, holding the "Super" key (probably your "Windows" key) and
dragging the mouse should create rectangular selections in Linux, however
I wouldn't be surprised if Ubuntu takes control of the "Super" key as
well...

> 3) on Ubuntu 12.04 + Unity2d, I got some annoying warning:
>
> (textadept:2245): LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-CRITICAL **: dbusmenu_menuitem_property_set_shortcut: assertion `keyname != NULL' failed
>
> (textadept:2245): LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-CRITICAL **: dbusmenu_menuitem_property_set_shortcut: assertion `keyname != NULL' failed
>
> Is this a bug?  Can we supress it?

I will look into this when I get a chance. You probably have not defined
any custom key commands have you? Since key bindings in the menus are
determined programatically by function reference, it is possible custom
keys can throw this out of whack.

Mitchell

[1]: http://foicica.com/textadept/08_Preferences.html
[2]: http://foicica.com/textadept/09_Themes.html