Re: [code] Troubles compiling and running TextAdept under Debian

From: Rob Kendrick <rjek+foicica.com.att.rjek.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 12:08:53 +0000

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 09:57:33PM -0500, Mitchell wrote:
> LuaJIT does not seem to be building. A couple guys at the Lua
> conference figured out that it was because "uname -i" doesn't return
> the proper value on Debian.

(Oops; misconfigured mail client used wrong From: header on previous
attempt.)

Previously, I have been able to build stock LuaJIT fine on this system;
is this some extra layer that's been put in TextAdept's build system?
What happens if I try to build it on a system that isn't supported by
LuaJIT?

Incidentally, I'm not sure what the "proper" value for -i should be;
it's not defined by POSIX2001 (only mnrsv are), an -m is defined as:
        "Write the name of the hardware type on which the system is
        running to standard output."

(Line 36395, IEEE 1003.1, POSIX, Shell and Utilities, issue 6.)

The standard is also pretty vague about what "hardware type" might mean.

> >Unfortunately, that produces the following error (in a GTK window):
> >
> >"cannot open /home/rjek/bzr/textadapt/textadept 2
> >keyboard<0015>TPPS/core/init.lua: No such file or directory"
> >
> >Where <0015> is the glyph for the unprintable Unicode point.
> >
> >It then quits.
>
> I cannot reproduce this. I moved textadept to a new directory with a
> <0015> unicode point and tried to run it and didn't get an error.
>
> $> mv textadept `echo -ne "ta\x15"`
> $> cd ta<tab>
> $> ./textadept # runs with no errors
>
> What is the output from "echo $LANG"?

I was running it from /home/rjek/bzr/textadapt/ (yeah, I know, a typo);
there was no fruity characters in the path.

rjek.att.humdrum:~$ echo $LANG
en_GB.UTF-8

B.