Re: [code] Auto-pairing feature request

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 11:22:12 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Mitchell wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Michael Richter wrote:
>
>> I like the auto-pairing of symbols like ", ', (, et al but for one
>> tiny
>> annoyance: breaking OUT of the pair slows me down.
>>
>> [snip]
>
> Normally I would say that this has been requested numerous times and
> that any implementation will be buggy and have corner cases BUT at this
> point I'll give in and see what I can do to implement this.

Rather than worry about corner cases, I committed a general feature to hg
for "typeover characters". Quite simply, if the character under the caret
is a typeover character and is typed, the character is not inserted and
the caret moves to the right.

This should give the expected behavior 99% of the time, but in cases like

   ) -- mismatched parenthesis
   ^
caret

typing ')' will move over the ')' so you will have to type ')' again to
insert another ')'.