Re: [code] Tab spacing weirdness in 6.3

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 14:58:17 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi Michael,

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, Michael Richter wrote:

> Problem #1: the tab spacing is defaulting to 2. I have nothing anywhere in
> any file setting tab spacing to 2.

Textadept uses a default of 2 in the various themes/*/buffer.lua files.

> Problem #2: adjusting the tab width in Buffers→Indentation isn't changing
> the indentation levels. The status display says Spaces: 4 but tabbing
> gives me two-space indentation.

I cannot reproduce this on a plain-text file:

1. Open Textadept.
2. Select Buffers -> Indentation -> Tab Width: 4.
3. Tab key --> 4 spaces inserted.

> Problem #3: this isn't consistent. I get two-space indentation from the
> beginning of the line, but if I type something and hit tab, it goes to the
> 4 I expect.
>
> I have no idea what's going on here. Can anybody let me know where to look?

Perhaps you have custom indentation settings that are causing some
problems? In the above example if I go to the command entry and enter
"buffer.indent = 2" and then press Tab in the buffer, I get 2-space
indentation even though my statusbar says 4. Reading the LuaDoc for
buffer.tab_width vs buffer.indent may shed some light on this.