Re: [code] a bug related with "Open Recent" list

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 15:52:49 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Ryan,

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013, Ryan Pusztai wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>>

>> On Mon, 4 Feb 2013, John Ferrier wrote:
>>

>>> Textadept 6.3 + Ubuntu 12.04_X86_64 + Unity.
>>>
>>> 1) Open an existing file with TA by typing, e.g.,"ta a.cc";
>>>
>>> 2) Make any change to "a.cc" and save it;
>>>
>>> 3) Close "a.cc" and quit TA;
>>> 4) Launch TA again (without following a file name" to make sure "a.cc" is
>>> in "Open Recent" list;
>>>
>>> 5) Open another existing file with TA by typing, e.g., "ta b.cc";
>>>
>>> 6) Check "Open Recent" list again and you'll found "a.cc" is removed from
>>> the list.
>>>
>>> I don't think this is logical.
>>>

>> When you give ta a file on the command line, ta does NOT read from any
>> session files, including recent file lists from the default last session.
>> Opening a file from the command line is considered to be a "new" session.
>

> This is not the behavior that I believe most people would expect. In many
> other editors I have used it has always been a running list of recent
> files, not just recent files in the current session. Am
> I misunderstanding the "Open Recent" feature? If not, I think that this
> would be a good feature to add and maybe have a different menu item for
> recent session files.

That is a fair argument. However, in my line of work, I'm working on
multiple projects at once and having separate recent file lists per
session is quite helpful for me. Also, I see two ways to support
session-agnostic recent file lists: (1) have a separate file for recent
files (2) Load the default session but only grab recent files from it. The
first method is cleaner, but requires more code behind the scenes than I'm
comfortable with. A well-written patch may persuade me though.