Re: [code] [textadept] Missing features in textadept-ncurses?

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 23:32:12 -0500 (EST)

Hi Chris,

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013, Chris Emerson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been looking into textadept as a more sensibly scriptable replacement
> to vim, which I normally use in a terminal, so I've been trying out
> textadept-ncurses. So far I like it, but may have to do some vi-style key
> bindings for it. :-)
>
> Two features which aren't available in the ncurses version which I miss,
> and seem (to me) to be reasonably implementable:
>
> * Window splitting - I use this all the time in vim

This would pretty much require writing a window manager in the terminal.
There is a lot of complexity involved and it would probably be buggy. When
I started writing the ncurses version I did want to support view
splitting, but it quickly grew out of control and I had to drop it.

> * Indicators. I can understand that rounded rectangles, alpha, etc. can't
> be implemented, but it seems to me that simple rectangles can be
> approximated with inverse text. I can get the desired visual effect by
> using multiple selections, but the indicators support seems to be the
> "right" way to do it.

Originally I thought indicators would be drawn over by text lines as
stated in the Scinterm documentation. However, looking at the Scintilla
code again, it might be possible to do what you suggest. I will look into
this over the weekend and let you know.