Re: [code] [textadept] Proposed API Changes

From: Robert <rob.g.att.web.de>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 15:33:28 +0100

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 2:13 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
[..]
> To me, `lfs.dir_foreach` "feels" right. Extending existing libraries is
> nothing new in the documentation. The `io` module states "Extends Lua's io
> library with Textadept functions for working with files" and `string` states
> "Extends Lua’s string library to provide character set conversions".
> Similarly a new `lfs` page would state "Extends the lfs library to find
> files in directories".
>
> You said it might be confusing. What do you mean? How would it be worse than
> 'string.iconv()' or 'io.close_all()'?

The difference to me is that I look up the `lfs` documentation at its
homepage often. For `string` and `io` this is rarely the case and they
are part of Lua's standard library. What I thought might be confusing
for others is going to the `lfs` website and not finding the
`dir_foreach` function there.
You're right that this is not really different for the other
extensions, this is rather my usage which made if feel different for
me.
Most likely I will get used to it quickly ;-)

Thanks for thinking about it,