Re: [code] [textadept] lspawn 0.3

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 16:13:10 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Ryan,

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013, Ryan Pusztai wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
>>
>> Works great even using Make. Can you also build a download for LuaJIT
>>> support?
>>>

>> Perhaps, but I don't want to encourage the rift between Lua 5.2 and LuaJIT
>> (5.1) versions.
>>

> Ok so is the Lua 5.2 the reason lspawn is not just a drop in replacement
> when running TA? Most modules it doesn't matter if I use LuaJit or Lua 5.1.

Yes, lua_objlen is Lua 5.1 while lua_rawlen is Lua 5.2.

> Also do you think there is a reason to run TA using LuaJIT? Does it have
> any benefits. I just figured it would open, close, and load larger files (<
> 1MB) faster. Is that not the case?

I personally see no reason to use the LuaJIT version for anything other
than the FFI library Robert mentioned. The speed benefit is negligible
anywhere other than startup with a very large session. 6.1 was the last
version that had a noticable speed difference between the non-JIT and
LuaJIT versions when loading large files. I myself use the non-JIT version
every day at work with up to 200K source files.

Both versions still choke on files with long lines, but that is due to
Scintilla.

I will add a FAQ entry about non-JIT vs. LuaJIT. Thanks for the refresher!