Re: [code] [textadept] Missing features in textadept-ncurses?

From: Pete Kazmier <pete.att.kazmier.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 00:00:29 -0500

Hi Mitchell,

On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 9:13 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Apr 2013, Pete Kazmier wrote:
>
> On a related note, how hard would it be to highlight matching words when
>> using the find functions (incremental search, etc ...)? Or is this already
>> supported?
>>

> This is not supported, but you can do this yourself by connecting to the
> `_G.events.FIND` event and reading from the `gui.find.find_entry_text` and
> `gui.find.match_case`, `gui.find.whole_word`, etc. options to perform
> searching and matching yourself.

Thanks. I'll have to give this a try. I'm so accustomed to seeing all
matching words highlighted in both Emacs and Vim that it's disconcerting to
my brain without it.

>> One more question, have
>> you figured out how to make Esc cancel out of commands and dialogs faster?
>> Right now, I feel like it pauses for about a second or two which is an
>> eternity for a keyboard junkie like me. I'd prefer to map ctl-g to be the
>> global cancel, but I don't think this will be possible as textadept defers
>> dialogs to gtdialog which I'm going to guess is hardcoded with esc.
>>

> You can tap 'Escape' twice in rapid succession to cancel out of dialogs. I
> do not have a workaround for the delay since this seems to be built into
> ncurses to allow for interpretation of manually entered escape sequences.
> Please let me know if you find a workaround.

It looks like there is a set_escdelay() that could be called in
ScintillaTerm if you wanted to lower the default value, which seems to be
1s based on the output of get_escdelay(). While you ponder whether or not
it would be a good idea, it looks like one can use the environment variable
ESCDELAY to change the delay. For example, `export ESCDELAY=25` reduces the
time from 1s to 25ms. It's better than the default of 1s, but there still
is some other delay in there as it's longer than 25ms.

Regards,
Pete