Re: [code] [textadept] VIM/Emacs bindings (was: Missing features in textadept-ncurses?)

From: Chris Emerson <c-ta.att.mail.nosreme.org>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 08:48:15 +0100

On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 05:54:27PM -0500, Pete Kazmier wrote:
> Chris, how are your vim findings coming along?

Slowly! It's an occasional evening thing at the moment due to work, kids,
etc.

I've been adding the things roughly in the order that I use them, and then
going back to vim as they're nowhere near good enough for me to actually
get stuff done efficiently yet. :-) There's a separate command/insert
mode, basic searching, and the most common navigation/editing commands I
use.

They're on github (undocumented, and with some messy parts):

https://github.com/jugglerchris/textadept-vi

I've stalled a bit as the next keypress I need is "." (which repeats the
last command, so needs me to add some recording of the last action).

> How are you dealing without split windows in ncurses version? Like you, I
> prefer working in the terminal (I love tmux) and I also use slitting
> frequently in emacs so I'm unsure how I'll deal with it.

At the moment I'm dealing with it by keeping "try to implement split
windows in Textadept" somewhere down my long list of things to do. I've
had a couple of experiments tweaking calls to wresize to see what would
happen.

> Right now, the lack of my emacs key bindings is preventing me from using
> it, but I'm hoping to get these done soon. One more question, have you
> figured out how to make Esc cancel out of commands and dialogs faster?

No (though I've just seen the other message about changing the delay).

For vim bindings, I've got the option when using ESC for exiting insert
mode of trapping all Alt-X keypresses and re-injecting ESC X, which lets me
avoid the delay there. That's not an option for Emacs bindings. :-) I
did do this but have turned it off as I found I've been using some of
textadept's default keypresses (eg Alt-N and Alt-C) too.

> Right now, I feel like it pauses for about a second or two which is an
> eternity for a keyboard junkie like me. I'd prefer to map ctl-g to be the
> global cancel, but I don't think this will be possible as textadept
> defers dialogs to gtdialog which I'm going to guess is hardcoded with
> esc.

Enter also closes them immediately, which is fine for me most of the time.
I'll experiment with the delay change too though.

Best regards,

Chris