Re: [code] [textadept] VIM/Emacs bindings (was: Missing features in textadept-ncurses?)

From: Peter Kazmier <pete.att.kazmier.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 20:26:01 -0500

On Apr 7, 2013, at 2:48 AM, Chris Emerson <c-ta.att.mail.nosreme.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 05:54:27PM -0500, Pete Kazmier wrote:
>> Chris, how are your vim findings coming along?
>
> Slowly! It's an occasional evening thing at the moment due to work, kids,
> etc.

Same here. I know the feeling all too well. Work, wife, etc ... Wife's on the phone at the moment :-)

> I've been adding the things roughly in the order that I use them, and then
> going back to vim as they're nowhere near good enough for me to actually
> get stuff done efficiently yet. :-) There's a separate command/insert
> mode, basic searching, and the most common navigation/editing commands I
> use.
>
> They're on github (undocumented, and with some messy parts):
>
> https://github.com/jugglerchris/textadept-vi

Thanks for posting. I'll have to give this a try. Even though I'm writing emacs keybindings, I still use vim quite frequently. I think I'm one of the few that actually uses both emacs and vim pretty adeptly. I think I've always favored emacs as I like elisp far better than vimscript. With textadept, I thought it would be a good way to practice some Lua!

> At the moment I'm dealing with it by keeping "try to implement split
> windows in Textadept" somewhere down my long list of things to do. I've
> had a couple of experiments tweaking calls to wresize to see what would
> happen.

Cool! It'll be interesting to see how I fare. In reality, I'm trying to think of how often I actually need to split my screen though. The most common time I do so in emacs is with my IRC session (of course it runs within my editor, doesn't everyone?). But I can easily work around that with tmux split screens.

Pete