[code] Kudos

From: Sandeep Datta <datta.sandeep.att.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 23:18:40 +0530

Hi Mitchell,

I chanced upon Textadept while looking for a good text editor in Ubuntu.
Using Textadept has been a pleasure. Hats off to you for creating this
wonderful piece of software and sharing it with the world.

However I do have a few requests to make to help improve my workflow with
Textadept...

1. Invoking the find bar by pressing Ctrl+F does not copy the currently
highlighted text to the find textbox (as is the norm in editors these days)

2. I am missing the ability to use regular expressions for search. I
understand keeping the code size to a minimum is a important goal for this
project. But is it possible for you to provide an API for using external
search and replace algorithms? If you already have kindly point me towards
some documentation.

3. Running textadept-curses file.ext produces the following error:-
/home/sandeepd/Misc/textadept/core/file_io.lua:142: bad argument #1 to
'iconv' (string expected, got nil)

4. Errors do not appear in a "dialog" in the ncurses version so it makes it
difficult to know that pressing CTRL+Q to quit will not work unless you
press ESC first. Press CTRL+O to see what I mean by a dialog in this
context.

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 x64 FYI.

I am an experienced programmer but a Lua newbie. However if you want I can
try to give you a helping hand in implementing these things, though I can't
promise I will be able to. I assure you this is due to a lack of expertise
and not effort!

Regards,
Sandeep.