Re: [code] Kudos

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Sun, 5 May 2013 23:40:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Sandeep,

On Sun, 5 May 2013, Sandeep Datta wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> I chanced upon Textadept while looking for a good text editor in Ubuntu.
> Using Textadept has been a pleasure. Hats off to you for creating this
> wonderful piece of software and sharing it with the world.

Cheers! I'm glad you find it useful :)

> However I do have a few requests to make to help improve my workflow with
> Textadept...
>
> 1. Invoking the find bar by pressing Ctrl+F does not copy the currently
> highlighted text to the find textbox (as is the norm in editors these days)

Perhaps this would be useful in a future release. I will consider it.

> 2. I am missing the ability to use regular expressions for search. I
> understand keeping the code size to a minimum is a important goal for this
> project. But is it possible for you to provide an API for using external
> search and replace algorithms? If you already have kindly point me towards
> some documentation.

Robert linked to my page on the wiki which may be of use. However,
Scintilla's regex implementation is somewhat limited. If you are feeling
adventurous, you may be able to compile Textadept with a regex library
using a Scintilla hook[1]. If you manage to get it working, let me know
and it may be included in the future.

> 3. Running textadept-curses file.ext produces the following error:-
> /home/sandeepd/Misc/textadept/core/file_io.lua:142: bad argument #1 to
> 'iconv' (string expected, got nil)

What are your $CHARSET, $LC_ALL, and $LANG environment variables?
Textadept checks each sequentially to determine your filesystem's
encoding. Mine is 'en_US.UTF-8', so UTF-8 is what _CHARSET is set to. I
suspect yours is not being detected correctly.

> 4. Errors do not appear in a "dialog" in the ncurses version so it makes it
> difficult to know that pressing CTRL+Q to quit will not work unless you
> press ESC first. Press CTRL+O to see what I mean by a dialog in this
> context.

Unfortunately this is an issue with the curses toolkit Textadept uses to
get user input from dialogs. However, in the GUI version, Textadept
behaves in the same way: Ctrl+Q with a dialog open does not quit.

> I am an experienced programmer but a Lua newbie. However if you want I can
> try to give you a helping hand in implementing these things, though I can't
> promise I will be able to. I assure you this is due to a lack of expertise
> and not effort!

Thanks for any effort :)

[1]: http://scintilla.org/ScintillaDoc.html#AlternativeRegEx