Re: [code] I need help adding a language-specific snippet

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 22:12:11 -0400 (EDT)

Russell,

On Wed, 8 May 2013, Russell Dickenson wrote:

> Mitchell,
>
> You state "Note: under normal circumstances, nobody should be creating an
> *init.lua* and a *post_init.lua*. The latter is to take advantage of
> existing functionality. The former is for creating non-existant
> functionality."
>
> So....
> init.lua is used to *replace* an existing Textadept module's
> post_init.lua is used to *supplement* an existing Textadept module
>
> In my case, where I want to define additional snippets which apply only to
> files of type "XML", I create a module post_init.lua, with the code we
> agreed on earlier in this thread, and name it "post_init.lua", stored in
> <home>/.textadept/modules/xml (on Linux). This module is run *after*
> existing Textadept module.

This is incorrect. Textadept does NOT have an existing XML
language-specific module. Therefore, if you want XML-specific
functionality, you have to create a module, even if it's as simple as
adding an XML-specific snippet. Creating that module means creating
*init.lua*, not *post_init.lua*.

This must be very frustrating for you. It's unfortunate that in this case
Textadept adheres to the Lua concept of modules, the knowledge of which
would aid in more easily understanding the inner workings of Textadept.