Re: [code] how to find the meta key?

From: Robert <rob.g.att.web.de>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 20:43:07 +0200

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Simon <simonhf.att.gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Robert <rob.g.att.web.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Simon <simonhf.att.gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I've tried running TAN using SecureCRT, terminal, and plain old xterm,
>> > all
>> > on Ubuntu 12.10. I've tried every combination of shift, ctrl, and alt
>> > for
>> > Meta-c, Meta-M, and Meta-Space. Nothing seems to work. Is this a bug or
>> > why
>> > is it so difficult? How can I find out what TAN thinks is the Meta key
>> > combination?
>>
>> in the default terminal on Ubuntu 12.10 'Alt' as curses meta key works
>> for me. You could uncomment the print-statement in core/keys.lua
>> (http://foicica.com/hg/textadept/file/e70a0b51f36b/core/keys.lua#l243)
>> and check the output.
>> Meta(alt)-c gives
>> 99 nil false false true nil
>> for me.
>> So 'alt' is true. Printing this will make your curses window look
>> weird of course.
>
> First thing I noticed is that my line 243 looks different. I used the
> following instructions to install [1]. Are they correct?

Ah, I pointed to the latest hg version, sorry.
The installation instruction at the link point to 6.3, the current
version is 6.6 beta. Since you don't have any legacy customizations it
should be safe to use the latest version. (It's textadept-curses now,
as it works with other curses implementations as well.)

> However, I found the same line on line 227 in my (older?) version of TAN and
> uncommented it and after pressing alt-c I get:
> in xterm: 27 nil false false false false
> in terminal: 99 nil false false true false

So, 'terminal' looks correct at least... have you tried other key
combinations, like alt-n?
You can open multiple files, e.g.
textadept-curses FAQ.md CHANGELOG.md
in the directory where the binary is and then should be able to switch
between buffers with 'alt-n'.

Maybe you could try the latest release (6.6 beta) from
http://foicica.com/textadept/download, you just need to unpack the
archive somewhere.

Robert