Re: [code] how to find the meta key?

From: Simon <simonhf.att.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 11:51:39 -0700

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM, Simon <simonhf.att.gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM, Robert <rob.g.att.web.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Simon,
> >
> > On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM, Simon <simonhf.att.gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I've tried running TAN using SecureCRT, terminal, and plain old xterm,
> all
> > > on Ubuntu 12.10. I've tried every combination of shift, ctrl, and alt
> for
> > > Meta-c, Meta-M, and Meta-Space. Nothing seems to work. Is this a bug
> or why
> > > is it so difficult? How can I find out what TAN thinks is the Meta key
> > > combination?
> >
> > in the default terminal on Ubuntu 12.10 'Alt' as curses meta key works
> > for me. You could uncomment the print-statement in core/keys.lua
> > (http://foicica.com/hg/textadept/file/e70a0b51f36b/core/keys.lua#l243)
> > and check the output.
> > Meta(alt)-c gives
> > 99 nil false false true nil
> > for me.
> > So 'alt' is true. Printing this will make your curses window look
> > weird of course.
>
> First thing I noticed is that my line 243 looks different. I used the
> following instructions to install [1]. Are they correct?
>
> However, I found the same line on line 227 in my (older?) version of TAN
> and uncommented it and after pressing alt-c I get:
> in xterm: 27 nil false false false false
> in terminal: 99 nil false false true false
> in SecureCRT: nothing because SecureCRT intercepts alt-c
>
> So I uninstalled the apt-get version which called itself textadept-ncurses
(now textadept-curses) and downloaded the 6.6 .gz file. (There's no way to
install it, right? You just run it where it's unpacked?) I then repeated
the test after commenting-in line 243:
in xterm: 27 nil false false false nil
in terminal: 99 nil false false true nil

So that seems to work now in terminal but not in xterm.

Just out of interest I tried looking at the home, end debug output in
terminal and SecureCRT and it doesn't look good for SecureCRT. So now I'm
wondering why home & end work in vim in SecureCRT.

terminal: home: 304 home false false false nil
terminal: end: 305 end false false false nil

SecureCRT: home: 0 nil false false false nil
SecureCRT: end: 0 nil false false false nil

--
Simon