Re: [code] [textadept] New Theme and Settings Proposal

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2013 17:39:35 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Gilles,

On Fri, 17 May 2013, Gilles Grégoire wrote:

> Mitchell,
> I am all for the removal of the need for 3 separate files for themes. I
> think having one file for each theme to define colors and another to define
> all other properties is a good idea.
>
> To me, the 'property' style of initialization can be harder to read. For
> example, this:
> property['style.error'] = 'fore:$(color.red),italics'
>
> I think it is better written in a simple "programmatic" style, which is
> much closer to the original source:
> property.style_error = style { fore=color.red, italic=true }
>
> Also, I don't understand _why_ using buffer properties to set colors is a
> simplification over the actual scheme. Will it still be possible to use the
> 'old style' initialization?

Thanks for the feedback. I agree with you that the "programmatic" way of
defining styles and colors is more readable. However I am on the fence
about whether or not to provide support for it. (There is certainly the
possibility for a third-party extension to convert Lua-style tables into a
Scintilla style string.) On the one hand, using properties and Scintilla's
existing $() expansion facilities fits with the Scintilla lexer model.
Obviously on the other we're sacrificing some readibility and opening the
possibility for subtle user bugs with string syntax, etc.

It is a dilemma.