[code][textadept] Feature requests

From: Bill Meahan <subscribed_lists.att.meahan.net>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2013 13:36:50 -0400

As I write (a lot) of prose to be formatted by ConTeXt these days,
instead of the software code I wrote for decades, there are a couple of
features I would really like to have:

* A wrap-text (fill paragraph in emacs) function that respects
indentation and has a user-specified wrap column.

     I've seen the function on the wiki but it won't work with "recent"
versions. Such a functionality really belongs in the editor itself as
most other editors provide it.
     NOTE: I don't mean :wrap at edge of screen, I mean "hard wraps" at
the column I've specified in the options.

* An integrated real-time spellchecker.

     Should be self-evident. :)

* A tab bar

Having a tab bar provides an instantly-visible display of which files
are open. No need to even hit a key to bring up a list in a separate
dialog box or tab through the buffers to see what's opento start editing
that file. Emacsish buffer lists were a good solution in the 1970's when
interaction with computers was via terminal and slow dial-up lines. It's
an anachronism in 2013 when all but a few interactions are via the
graphics card and keyboard/touchscreen of the local device. Remote
access, where it's used, is almost always over a fast network connection
not a 110 baud dial-upor 75 baud RTTY Do what others do and make display
of the tab bar optional and leave it out of the curses version entirely
if you must..

For anybody who's interested:

Attached is my "enhanced" context module from
${HOME}/.textadept/modules/context. Many more useful snippets are on my
list of future projects.

--
Bill Meahan
Westland, Michigan USA