RE: [code] [textadept] Officially Supported Add-ons?

From: John Hind <john.hind.att.zen.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 2013 14:34:11 +0100

Could I suggest that you consider providing a more comprehensive UI API in C
and surfaced to Lua? For example, if you provided a toolbar API then Lua
programmers could do tabs as well as command bars to their own particular
taste and you would not have to "bloat" the standard implementation by much.
I do not know what it would take to enable spell check and regex searching
in this style, but I guess some simple hooks would suffice (particularly as
Lua libraries are already available, at least for full regex). Maybe the
current syntax highlighting scheme could be enhanced to support spell check?

My shopping list for this would be (in order of importance):

1. Toolbar API.
2. Dynamic menus (Lua trigger to alter menu content at each popup).
3. Form Buffer (Like a read-only text buffer but you can embed text entry
fields and checkboxes using a stripped down HTML-like syntax, of course with
Lua triggers when fields are changed)

If Textadept morphed into a general purpose toolkit for roll-your-own text
editors and IDEs in Lua, I for one would willingly pay a shareware licence.