Re: [code] [textadept] Officially Supported Add-ons?

From: Ryan Pusztai <rpusztai.att.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 14:54:25 -0400

Hi Mitchell,

On Fri, May 31, 2013 at 10:52 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Over the years, many users have requested a number of features for
> Textadept like tabs, regex searching, spell checking, etc. that I have
> either flat out denied or put low on my priority list. I am exploring a
> "paid add-ons" business model for these kinds of features that I do not
> want to put in the official releases. Depending on the number of requests
> for a particular feature, I may implement it as an officially supported
> add-on and make it available separately for a nominal fee. If you have such
> requests, please e-mail me or this list, so I can start gauging interest
> and figure out how to proceed.

I know I really don't like this model of payment. It usually feels like it
"nickel and dimes" me for each new feature. I can understand the desire to
get paid for your work, so I would accept this choice if you wanted.
Would the add-ons all be separate? Would you be charging a one-time charge
or a periodic update charge? Would the source for the add-ons be opensource?

Have you thought about "sponsoring" features? Where users would pay for you
to develop the feature. After you complete it the feature would just be
part of the release for everyone else. I have seen the LuaJit developer
really make this model work well. Thoughts?

As for features I would love to see is tabs and spell check.

I would also really like project support. I am not sure if you
are familiar with SublimeText (http://www.sublimetext.com/), but their
simple project support is quite good. The real missing features from TA is
the project based auto complete (more than the current file auto-complete)
and the file browser. Also the build command could be threaded using your
gtk thread module and have a way to specify the build command to use in the
simple project file (which could be the session file, just with a bit more
key-value items). I would pay for that feature for sure.

--
Regards,
Ryan