Re: [code] [textadept] Officially Supported Add-ons?

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 16:15:01 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Ryan,

I fear my original intent behind this proposal was misunderstood. I am not
out to profit from Textadept. It will forever remain free and open-source.
I am as committed to improving it now as I was 6 years ago when I started
the project.

I have a vision with Textadept: fast, minimalist, and ridiculously
extensible. Many feature requests I get are not consistant with this
vision; naturally everyone has their own. I would like to reach some sort
of middle ground here, and the only way I see it is through these separate
add-ons: each user can pick and choose their preferred features to tailor
Textadept to their vision.

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013, Ryan Pusztai wrote:

> Would the add-ons all be separate?

Yes. Since I don't want them in the official release, they would have to
be offered separately.

> Would you be charging a one-time charge or a periodic update charge?

It would be a one time charge with supported updates.

> Would the source for the add-ons be opensource?

No, the add-ons would likely be closed-source. Lua modules would have an
API available.

> Have you thought about "sponsoring" features? Where users would pay for you
> to develop the feature. After you complete it the feature would just be
> part of the release for everyone else. I have seen the LuaJit developer
> really make this model work well. Thoughts?

Again, these add-ons would not make it to the official release so that
method of "sponsorship" does not apply.