Re: [code] unexpected behavior when writing buffer.selection_mode

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 10:09:44 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi Benjamin,

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013, Benjamin Kober wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a vim module for textadept
> (https://github.com/lammermann/ta-vim).
>
> For movements I would like to use buffer.selection_mode so that I don't
> every mode while the movement is still the same.
>
> When I tried it I stuck on several issues:
>
> * |_SCINTILLA.constants.SC_SEL_LINES seems to be the same as character
> selection
> * ||_SCINTILLA.constants.SC_SEL_RECTANGLE moves the caret always to the
> first line
>
> Is this the right behavior? Is this variable meant as read-only?
> Any ideas how I can change the selection_mode without defining it again
> with every caret move?

These are bugs in Scintilla. The author states that this mode of selection
is "unusual" and has not been well maintained. I looked into fixing it
some time ago, but didn't have much success. Unfortunately the only
workaround at the moment is to use the 'extend' and 'rect_extend'
functions :( If I have time, I'll take another look.