Re: [code] [textadept] How to set "bright" ansi colors as background color in curses mode?

From: Robert <rob.g.att.web.de>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:36:33 +0200

Hi Mitchell,

thanks for looking into this.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
>> Another question,
>> the default comment styling, bold black, is unreadable in this setup,
>> also in the default Ubuntu terminal.
>> Maybe this could be changed to yellow or something (if required for 8
>> color terminals) or light_black (if possible)?
>

> I just downloaded ubuntu 12.04 lts, opened the default terminal, set my TERM
> to "xterm-256color", obtained ta 7.0 alpha, and ran the curses version on a
> source file. Comments show up and I can read them. Granted they are a
> slightly darker grey than the terminal background, but that was what I was
> expecting.
>
> You must be seeing something different?

On Ubuntu (13.04 in my case) I re-checked and agree that it is
readable (maybe a bit low-contrast). Apologies if I made you download
it unnecessarily. I might have set a theming or terminal setting which
caused this to look worse and cannot reproduce it now.
I've attached a screenshot on OS X with default Terminal settings (OS
X Lion, 10.7). The comments in the first line are only visible when
the caret is on the line.
After some searching ... I found the crucial setting: "Use bright
colors for bold text" in Terminal.app. With this setting it looks
good!
Maybe this could be added to the FAQ or installation notes - I don't
know how I missed this setting, maybe because I had a poorer
understanding of how the 'bold' colors were reused when creating the
terminal theme.