Re: [code] [textadept] Proporsal: sam command language plugin

From: Richard Philips <richard.philips.att.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 15:43:32 +0200

On 07/15/2013 12:48 PM, suharik wrote:
> http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/sam/
> http://sam.cat-v.org/cheatsheet/
>
> I want to implement analogue of sam command language for textadept
> text editor.
> Some benefits it could give:
> - Structural regular expressions (for example, `,x/=.*$/s/ +/ /g`
> removes duplicated spaces in every line after '=' symbol)
> - Parallel commands (for example, you can replace every 'vi' by
> 'emacs' and every 'emacs' by 'vi')
> - Working with multiple files, advanced pipeline I/O and a lot or
> other features. This is a very powerful thing.
> - Finally, you can file/replace without annoying find/replace form
>
> But I have some questions about API. How to create a text field for
> commands?

I certainly would appreciate a command language on textadept.

BUT ...

I would very much prefer a gui driven command language.

e.g.: in `,x/=.*$/s/ +/ /g`

you can discern 3 parts:

(1) the range of lines you would like to handle: `,`

(2) the command `x`

(3) the command specific arguments

Each of these parts would benefit from a gui driven approach:
a text-only command language becomes difficult to handle, especially if
one has to use
escape characters (which is often the case if one edits code)

ALSO ...

This is a major undertaking.

I really would like to see the input of Mitchell on this.
I would hate to see efforts like this go to waste because Mitchell has
other ideas about this.

Richard