Re: [code] [textadept] Proporsal: sam command language plugin

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 10:44:30 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

Hi,

On Mon, 15 Jul 2013, Richard Philips wrote:

> On 07/15/2013 12:48 PM, suharik wrote:
>> http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/4th_edition/papers/sam/
>> http://sam.cat-v.org/cheatsheet/
>>
>> I want to implement analogue of sam command language for textadept
>> text editor.
>> Some benefits it could give:
>> - Structural regular expressions (for example, `,x/=.*$/s/ +/ /g`
>> removes duplicated spaces in every line after '=' symbol)
>> - Parallel commands (for example, you can replace every 'vi' by
>> 'emacs' and every 'emacs' by 'vi')
>> - Working with multiple files, advanced pipeline I/O and a lot or
>> other features. This is a very powerful thing.
>> - Finally, you can file/replace without annoying find/replace form
>>
>> But I have some questions about API. How to create a text field for
>> commands?
>>
> I certainly would appreciate a command language on textadept.
>
> BUT ...
>
> I would very much prefer a gui driven command language.
>
> e.g.: in `,x/=.*$/s/ +/ /g`
>
> you can discern 3 parts:
>
> (1) the range of lines you would like to handle: `,`
>
> (2) the command `x`
>
> (3) the command specific arguments
>
> Each of these parts would benefit from a gui driven approach:
> a text-only command language becomes difficult to handle, especially if
> one has to use
> escape characters (which is often the case if one edits code)
>
> ALSO ...
>
> This is a major undertaking.
>
> I really would like to see the input of Mitchell on this.
> I would hate to see efforts like this go to waste because Mitchell has
> other ideas about this.

I don't have an interest in these kinds of text-based "languages". I can
accomplish the same thing via Lua scripts in a way that is much more
readable *to me*. I personally don't mind the extra keystrokes. The same
applies to a GUI approach: I can use Lua instead.

As Robert mentioned, Textadept is all about extensibility, so I will
encourage and support such efforts as best I can for those ambitious
enough to undertake them :)