RE: [code] [textadept] Textadept 7.0 - Large File Performance

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 11:18:27 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi John,

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, John Hind wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>
> I decided to give Text Adept 7 a try (after giving up on 6 due to poor large
> file performance and the absence of tabs). When I first started 7 I was
> faced with an empty window frame and a wait animation for literally minutes
> - easily long enough for the "Not Responding" notation to appear in the
> title bar. On investigation I found it was remembering the large
> HTML/Javascript file I had used to test 6 several months ago plus the cursor
> position towards the end of this file. I deleted my old ".textadept" folder
> and loading was then instant. It also displays the beginning of the same
> test file very quickly, but when I try to move to the end of the file it
> again takes coffee break time.

Would it be possible for you to send me this file so I can run some tests?

> I conclude TextAdept is slow at syntax highlighting and that it always has
> to analyse the file from the beginning up to the end of the visual window
> before displaying anything. Other editors I've tried (such as SublimeText,
> the editor in Visual Studio and even basic SciTe - so the problem is not
> Scintilla) manage to load this same test file very quickly, even with full
> syntax highlighting, and to very quickly move to the end of the file. The
> JIT TextAdept is a little faster, but still not usable.
>
> Is it not possible to do the syntax analysis on another thread so it can be
> done in the background without locking up the UI thread? Or even if it is
> not fixable, make an estimate of how long analysis is going to take and
> switch off highlighting for files that are too big to do in reasonable time?

Scintilla is not multi-threaded nor does it support syntax highlighting in
separate threads so this is not possible for Textadept's lexers either :(
If you can send the file Textadept is choking on perhaps I can come up
with some sort of heuristic to switch off highlighting if the file is too
"big".

> I'd very much like to standardise on TextAdept and recommend it because I
> really love the Lua language, but it is impossible due to this really
> pathologically bad performance on large files.

If SciTE is indeed not choking on your file then I am interested in fixing
this problem with Textadept.