RE: [code] [textadept] Textadept 7.0 - Large File Performance

From: Mitchell <>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 15:24:11 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi John,

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, John Hind wrote:

>> Would it be possible for you to send me this file so I can run some
>> tests?
> Although my file is a TiddlyWiki file with a lot of content, the problem
> manifests very clearly using the empty file from here:
> Just use the big green "download" button, unzip the resultant package and
> then open "empty.html" in TextAdept. Then try to move the scroll bar down.
> Notice that once you have had a coffee break while it scrolls to the end of
> the file, performance is then fine. Also if you change the extension to
> .txt, it loads and scrolls fine. So it has to be the syntax analysis that
> causes the problem.
> I tried the same file in Sc336.exe and it is very responsive (although I
> must admit it does make a bit of a mess of the syntax highlighting!)

Thank you for sending the link. I found the problem, and it happens to be
in the *folding* code, not the lexing code! The attached patch to
`lexers/lexer.lua` fixes it. You can also disable folding in your
`~/.textadept/properties.lua`:['fold'] = '0'

That will also fix the problem. Thanks for your patience and giving
Textadept another go :) This will help others who experienced the same
problem. The next nightly will have the fix.


You are subscribed to
To change subscription settings, send an e-mail to
To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to
Received on Tue 05 Nov 2013 - 15:24:11 EST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Wed 06 Nov 2013 - 06:32:14 EST