RE: [code] [textadept] Textadept 7.0 - Large File Performance

From: Mitchell <>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 23:19:41 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, Mitchell wrote:

> Hi John,
> On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, John Hind wrote:
>>> Would it be possible for you to send me this file so I can run some
>>> tests?
>> Although my file is a TiddlyWiki file with a lot of content, the problem
>> manifests very clearly using the empty file from here:
>> Just use the big green "download" button, unzip the resultant package and
>> then open "empty.html" in TextAdept. Then try to move the scroll bar down.
>> Notice that once you have had a coffee break while it scrolls to the end of
>> the file, performance is then fine. Also if you change the extension to
>> .txt, it loads and scrolls fine. So it has to be the syntax analysis that
>> causes the problem.
>> I tried the same file in Sc336.exe and it is very responsive (although I
>> must admit it does make a bit of a mess of the syntax highlighting!)
> Thank you for sending the link. I found the problem, and it happens to be in
> the *folding* code, not the lexing code! The attached patch to
> `lexers/lexer.lua` fixes it. You can also disable folding in your
> `~/.textadept/properties.lua`:
>['fold'] = '0'
> That will also fix the problem. Thanks for your patience and giving Textadept
> another go :) This will help others who experienced the same problem. The
> next nightly will have the fix.

I may have spoken too soon. One of my machines showed the problem as being
fixed but another does not. I need to investigate more.


You are subscribed to
To change subscription settings, send an e-mail to
To unsubscribe, send an e-mail to
Received on Tue 05 Nov 2013 - 23:19:41 EST

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0 : Wed 06 Nov 2013 - 06:32:19 EST