Re: [code] [textadept] Checking for changed files on disk

From: Chris Emerson <c-ta.att.mail.nosreme.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 09:48:11 +0000

On Tue, Nov 05, 2013 at 11:07:52PM -0500, Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Tue, 5 Nov 2013, Chris Emerson wrote:
> >I could duplicate core/file_io.lua:update_modified_file(), or do some
> >combination of switching buffers/views and manually emiting
> >BUFFER/VIEW_AFTER_SWITCH events, but it would be nice to have a standard API
> >for it.
>
> Since this is a pretty special case (I cannot think of anything
> similar on other platforms), I don't feel like exposing a low-level
> `io` function is justified; I would copy the functionality for your
> own use. Jumping through hoops to manually emit the proper events
> seems too hackish.

I agree that the suspend/resume is unusual, but what about other things that
may deliberately cause files on disk to change - eg VCS integration (after
an update/pull, you'd want to check for changes), or if you've got a buffer
with the output of a "compile" (for example a log file)?

Best regards,

Chris