RE: [code] [textadept] Textadept 7.1

From: John Hind <john.hind.att.zen.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2013 19:40:36 -0000

Thanks Mitchell, with that reassurance I had the confidence to try some
experiments and (eventually) succeeded!

That gumroad.com web form is positively the worst piece of web design I've
come across in years - I suspect you are losing a lot of potential revenue
because of it! For information of others, I tried the site both in Firefox
and in Chrome and in neither did it give ANY feedback about errors (on
closer examination the box *is* outlined in red, but it is so subtle I
failed to notice it even when looking right at it). If you fill in any field
incorrectly, the "pre-order" button shows a click animation, but nothing
actually happens. I had misinterpreted the "fair price" box as soliciting an
EXTRA donation, but it actually wants the TOTAL payment - the book price
plus any extra donation (the prompt reads "$12+", so I entered the "plus" -
if I'd been more generous with the donation it would actually have collected
$12 less than I wanted to pay!). When it works, you get a picture of a till
roll with a thank you message and it sends you a confirmation email - if
you've not seen this your order has been (silently) ignored.

When I was a lad there was a thing called "usability testing", but the
current generation of web designers seems to have forgotten about this
completely!