Re: [code] [textadept] API changes

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 22:21:43 -0500 (EST)

Hi Robert,

On Tue, 26 Nov 2013, Robert Gieseke wrote:

> [snip]
>
>> I am reluctant to overhaul key bindings. The last one was for 4.0 over 2
>> years ago. I feel the keys are quite consistent between platforms as is,
>> but I welcome any suggestions you have. Starting from the terminal
>> platform is limiting because it cannot recognize Ctrl+Alt combinations
>> and other combinations that vary based on the underlying system platform.
>
> Understood. This is certainly a big "project" and also a matter of taste and
> prior preferences. What I don't like about the keybindings are the
> differences between OS X and Linux/Windows. I think there are more than
> necessary, for example for Selection/Enclosing. Of course I can use my own
> 'keys.lua' but for quickly doing something on another platform it would be
> nice if there were more similar.

I think the original idea was to make the bindings match what the user
would expect per platform. On OSX, the user expects the Command key as the
primary modifier, hence why selecting uses it. The Alt/Option modifier is
the compose key so it didn't work to use it for enclosing commands. Thus
Control is used.

It would have been nice to use the same keymap, but oh well.

>>> * An annotation function
>>> Many language modules have an annotation function to show syntax
>>> errors. A centralised function would avoid writing this again in every
>>> module and could more easily be customized in behaviour. I find these
>>> annotations very helpful but I would prefer to never have my caret
>>> position changed, like already implemented in the Python module[2]
>>> (but not in the Lua module for example).
>>
>> I think this is a good idea, without jumping the caret.
>
> Would you like to see a patch? In case there are different preferences for
> this feature it might be an option to have this handled by an event,
> otherwise an 'annotate_line' function might be enough -- but I don't know

Sure, that would be great.