Re: [code] Compiling TextAdept in CentOS

From: Rob Kendrick <rjek+foicica.com.att.rjek.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 15:53:59 +0000

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:32:52AM -0500, Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, Rob Kendrick wrote:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 09, 2013 at 02:03:47PM -0500, Mitchell wrote:
> >>
> >>I have not run into this issue. I presume that when you ran 'make
> >>deps' first, the lfs patch succeeded? If so, please attach your
> >>lfs.c or at least inline the code around those lines so I can
> >>examine it.
> >
> >This reminds me. Is there any possibility of a future release of
> >TextAdept not embedding libraries, or at least being able to use system
> >copies? The embedding of Lua and lfs etc basically makes it impossible
> >to package for Debian, and therefor all its derivatives such as Ubuntu
> >and Mint.
>
> To what extent? Textadept compiles in Scintilla -- would Debian
> require ta to use the system version?

Yes. Assuming it already had a package for it.

> Textadept needs a patched Scintilla.

Is the patch upstreamable, or generic enough to be included in Debian's
patchsets?

> It also patches Lua for at least some custom environment variables

Does it need to patch liblua? In what way? I didn't think liblua
concerned itself with environment variables at all.

> , and patches lfs for Lua 5.2 support (I could not get lfs
> head to work).

Debian's own lfs works fine for Lua 5.2; it may already carry a suitable
patch.

Basically, programs that embed their own copies of libraries (for
whatever reason) are usually banned, because of the increased security
workload. And to be honest, it's generally better to submit any fixes
upstream and have them deal with it. It's amazing how many programs
ship their own copies of zlib or libpng etc, and it makes it almost
impossible to issue prompt security updates.

B.