Re: [code] Compiling TextAdept in CentOS

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 00:20:55 -0500 (EST)

Hi Rob,

On Tue, 10 Dec 2013, Rob Kendrick wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 10:32:52AM -0500, Mitchell wrote:
>> Hi Rob,

>>> This reminds me. Is there any possibility of a future release of
>>> TextAdept not embedding libraries, or at least being able to use system
>>> copies? The embedding of Lua and lfs etc basically makes it impossible
>>> to package for Debian, and therefor all its derivatives such as Ubuntu
>>> and Mint.
>>
>> To what extent? Textadept compiles in Scintilla -- would Debian
>> require ta to use the system version?
>
> Yes. Assuming it already had a package for it.
>
>> Textadept needs a patched Scintilla.
>
> Is the patch upstreamable, or generic enough to be included in Debian's
> patchsets?
>
>> It also patches Lua for at least some custom environment variables
>
> Does it need to patch liblua? In what way? I didn't think liblua
> concerned itself with environment variables at all.
>
>> , and patches lfs for Lua 5.2 support (I could not get lfs
>> head to work).
>
> Debian's own lfs works fine for Lua 5.2; it may already carry a suitable
> patch.
>
> Basically, programs that embed their own copies of libraries (for
> whatever reason) are usually banned, because of the increased security
> workload. And to be honest, it's generally better to submit any fixes
> upstream and have them deal with it. It's amazing how many programs
> ship their own copies of zlib or libpng etc, and it makes it almost
> impossible to issue prompt security updates.

Thanks for the detailed responses. I've looked into this and I don't think
it's worth the effort. I will not be able to push my patch to Scintilla
upstream. It would need to be included in Debian's patch sets, but I think
that patch too specialized. (It would probably need to be its own
package.) You can take a look at `src/scintilla.patch`[1] to see.

I'm also experimenting with a patched cdk that utilizes libtermkey (based
on some of Chris' work) for unified input. If I am successful, that patch
certainly would not be accepted upstream and is unlikely to be included in
Debian's patchsets for the same reason as my Scintilla patch -- too
specialized.

Unless they're okay with maintaining "libscintilla-textadept",
"libcdk5-textadept", etc. packages, I don't think this is going to work.

[1]: http://foicica.com/hg/textadept/file/8cfdea7f7d3f/src/scintilla.patch