Re: [code] [textadept] A feature for tabs

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 16:23:22 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi,

On Mon, 9 Dec 2013, Mitchell wrote:

> Hi Richard and Ryan,
>
> On Sat, 7 Dec 2013, Ryan Pusztai wrote:
>> On Dec 7, 2013 10:41 AM, "Richard Philips" <richard.philips.att.gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have to admit, having tabs in Textadept is kind of growing on me
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> It would be nice if it was possible to close a buffer through its
>>> tab.
>>> E.g. in Firefox, tabs are equipped with a 'x'. A click on that 'x',
>>> closes
>>> the tab (and buffer).
>
> Textadept's C core is very close to hitting its 2000 line limit. Adding
> an 'x' button will likely push ta over that limit, so I highly doubt
> I'll add this. Even assigning a configurable mouse button (like
> middle-click) will probably push it over. Hard-coding a mouse button
> might work, but some users will probably complain.

As John suggested, and as I mentioned in my previous e-mail, tab context
menus with a "close" entry will be available instead of a tab close
button. I believe this is a worthwhile trade-off since the context menus
are configurable.

>> I agree the tabs are pretty good. Thanks so much for adding them.
>>
>> Along with the ability to close them I would like to be able to
>> rearrange
>> then by dragging. It helps keep them organized and allows for ctrl+tab
>> in
>> the order you would like, especially since TA doesn't cycle through
>> buffers
>> in the order of last used.
>
> The tabs are tied to the _BUFFER table so any reordering of tabs needs
> to update that table in place. This is not trivial in C, and would
> likely push ta over its limit. I do recognize the usefulness of this and
> will look into it, however it's likely that I won't add support.

I've had some time to look into this and it is non-trivial due to
Textadept's _BUFFER table implementation. I do not plan to implement
tab/buffer rearranging.