Re: [code] [textadept] Click on tabs without switching

From: Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 14:50:43 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hi Ryan,

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Ryan Pusztai wrote:

> Hi Mitchell,
>

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried to do this originally, but it is too complex to fit in without
>> exceeding the C code limit. I figured it was okay anyway since SciTE does
>> it.
>>

> In no way do I mean disrespect or flames I just want to understand better.
> Also these are my feelings not facts at all so please just tell me I am
> being silly.

Thanks for the preface. I appreciate different perspectives (and encourage
them!), especially when they are constructive. Cheers.

> What is the C code limit?

The C limit is 2000 lines.

> And why is this the limit?

   * This was the limit I set for myself some 7 years ago in order to keep
     Textadept *minimalist*.
   * I was heavily influenced by dwm[1] and the Suckless philosophy[2].
   * The limit is a challenge for me to write higher-quality code.
   * The limit differentiates Textadept. Without it, ta becomes just
     another text editor. I am proud of the fact that Textadept is so
     capable despite this limit.

> And can't a limit be raised?

That's simple -- at what point could I justify stopping to raise it? :)

But more seriously, I would not feel good compromising one of Textadept's
core values by raising the limit.

> I feel like TA is so great, but this C code limit will get in the way of
> polishing the features that have been added.

As I'm sure you know, polishing is a very slippery slope. At what point
does it stop? Okay, I shouldn't focus a tab on right click because that's
what web browsers do. Well, they also have those little close buttons, so
why not add that polish? Why not allow for file renaming by editing the
tab label? Why not allow the tab bar to be placed on the left, right, or
bottom? ... etc.

[1]: http://dwm.suckless.org/
[2]: http://suckless.org/philosophy