Re: [code] [textadept] Click on tabs without switching

From: Ryan Pusztai <rpusztai.att.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 23:05:28 -0500

Hi Mitchell,

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:

> Hi Ryan,
>

> On Wed, 15 Jan 2014, Ryan Pusztai wrote:
>
> Hi Mitchell,
>>

>> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
>>
>> I tried to do this originally, but it is too complex to fit in without
>>> exceeding the C code limit. I figured it was okay anyway since SciTE does
>>> it.
>>>

>> In no way do I mean disrespect or flames I just want to understand better.
>> Also these are my feelings not facts at all so please just tell me I am
>> being silly.
>>

> Thanks for the preface. I appreciate different perspectives (and encourage
> them!), especially when they are constructive. Cheers.
>

> What is the C code limit?
>>

> The C limit is 2000 lines.

OK.

> And why is this the limit?
>>

> * This was the limit I set for myself some 7 years ago in order to keep
> Textadept *minimalist*.
> * I was heavily influenced by dwm[1] and the Suckless philosophy[2].

I agree with that philosophy. It makes for great and fast applications.

> * The limit is a challenge for me to write higher-quality code.

  * The limit differentiates Textadept. Without it, ta becomes just
> another text editor. I am proud of the fact that Textadept is so
> capable despite this limit.

That is a great point.

 And can't a limit be raised?

> That's simple -- at what point could I justify stopping to raise it? :)
>
> But more seriously, I would not feel good compromising one of Textadept's
> core values by raising the limit.
>

> I feel like TA is so great, but this C code limit will get in the way of
>> polishing the features that have been added.
>>

> As I'm sure you know, polishing is a very slippery slope. At what point
> does it stop? Okay, I shouldn't focus a tab on right click because that's
> what web browsers do. Well, they also have those little close buttons, so
> why not add that polish? Why not allow for file renaming by editing the tab
> label? Why not allow the tab bar to be placed on the left, right, or
> bottom? ... etc.

OK. But there is some "middle of the road" approach or else no features
would be in TextAdept :). I think that you have done a great job making
TextAdept something special by pressing the limit to the max. I just feel
like the limit of 2000 LOC is tight and you have mentioned it as a reason
to not change things on a couple of occasions. I would hate for it to be a
reason not to innovate. But I do totally understand the motive behind such
a limit.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

--
Regards,
Ryan