Re: [code] [textadept] Click on tabs without switching

From: Robert Gieseke <rob.g.att.web.de>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 11:44:33 +0100

Am 1/17/14, 5:05 AM, schrieb Ryan Pusztai:
>> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Mitchell <m.att.foicica.com> wrote:
>> That's simple -- at what point could I justify stopping to raise it? :)
>>
>> But more seriously, I would not feel good compromising one of Textadept's
>> core values by raising the limit.
>>

>> I feel like TA is so great, but this C code limit will get in the way of
>>> polishing the features that have been added.
>>>

>> As I'm sure you know, polishing is a very slippery slope. At what point
>> does it stop? Okay, I shouldn't focus a tab on right click because that's
>> what web browsers do. Well, they also have those little close buttons, so
>> why not add that polish? Why not allow for file renaming by editing the tab
>> label? Why not allow the tab bar to be placed on the left, right, or
>> bottom? ... etc.
>>

> OK. But there is some "middle of the road" approach or else no features
> would be in TextAdept :). I think that you have done a great job making
> TextAdept something special by pressing the limit to the max. I just feel
> like the limit of 2000 LOC is tight and you have mentioned it as a reason
> to not change things on a couple of occasions. I would hate for it to be a
> reason not to innovate. But I do totally understand the motive behind such
> a limit.

I think it's great that Textadept has its limits. Both C and Lua are at
a size that a programmer can "keep in their head" which I find very
valuable (if you accept that there are many lines of GTK and Scintilla
and Lua that you just decide not to worry about …)

Further there are possibly ways to make space for "innovations". The C
code for Curses dialogs (CDK) could be replaced by re-writing these
dialogs in Lua using Textadept's API, the find dialog probably as well.
Or one could fully embrace LuaJIT's FFI and do more interfacing in Lua,
have a look at Howl[1], only a 100 lines of C code …

[1] https://github.com/nilnor/howl/blob/master/src/main.c